What is the Touchdown Club?
The Touchdown Club has been in existence for 75 years. Like many organizations that have been around that long, it has changed it’s goals and objectives. However; one thing has been constant–working with the youth of our community. To familiarize everyone with the Club’s history, here is a brief rundown.
The Touchdown Club is the oldest sports organization in Summit County, established in 1941. The original goal of the Club was to serve the University of Akron’s football program as a booster club. It started as part of the University of Akron’s “A” Association organization (Akron’s lettermen’s club) to raise money for recruiting and to aid football coach Otis Douglas. When World War II began, Douglas left the University for the Navy and a disagreement with President Hezzelton Simmons caused the Touchdown Club to separate from the “A” Association. It became its own organization on November 5, 1942. The first President of the Touchdown Club was Edward Nahm. After the Club became an independent organization, new objectives were set which changed the purpose and focus of the Touchdown Club. The new objectives included:
- Sponsoring, promoting, publicizing, and supporting activities for the youth of Summit County.
- Recognizing superior achievements in athletics / social activities.
- Providing a medium through which youth-minded individuals could invest part of their time, effort, and resources
The Club is now an organization dedicated to helping the youth of Summit and Portage County.